Advantages of plaster of Paris(POP):
- It expands very slightly on setting.
- It is not likely to cause cracking of surfaces.
- It forms a thick surface to resist normal knocks after drying.
- It is easy to spread and level.
- It mixes up easily with water.
- It has no appreciable chemical action on paint and does not cause alkali attack.
- Tiles and blocks of plaster of Paris have the specific advantage of lightness and high fire resistance.
- Plaster of Paris gives a decorative interior finish.
Disadvantages of plaster of Paris:
- Gypsum plaster is not suitable for exterior finish as it can not be used in damp finish.
- Cement can not be mixed with plaster of Paris.
- It is more expensive than cement or cement lime plaster
- It can not be used in moist situations.
- The labor cost for applying plaster of Paris is high.